It’s clear that a mountain is ideal for many things – hiking, skiing, hang gliding; but it’s not the most logical location for a theme park. Yet, situated 7, 100 feet above sea level in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is America’s only mountain-top theme park. How exactly did Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park end up there?
A nagging curiosity to explore a little-known cave in Glenwood Springs more than two decades ago led to the re-opening of Glenwood Caverns and the Historic Fairy Caves in 1999. The popularity of the cave tours led to very long wait times, and owners Steve and Jeanne Beckley started adding attractions so that guests would have something to do while waiting for the tour. Now there are more than a dozen attractions atop Iron Mountain, and the Park has become a place where the thrills run deep and the sky’s the limit!
Hard work pays off. Check out a small sampling of accolades the Beckleys and Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park have received over the years!
- TripAdvisor named the Park one of the Top 25 Amusement Parks in the U.S
- Reader’s Digest named the Park the Top Amusement Park in Colorado
- The Haunted Mine Drop was voted the Best New Theme Park Attraction of 2017 by USA TODAY readers
- The Alpine Coaster was named one of the 10 Best Roller-coaster Rides of Your Life by USA TODAY and Park World Magazine
- The State of Colorado awarded the Beckleys the 2001 Governor’s Award for Outstanding Community Tourism Initiative
- Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association named them Citizens of the Year for 2002
- The Haunted Mine Drop was named one of the 12 Most Anticipated Thrill Rides of 2017 by USA Today
- The Giant Canyon Swing was named one of the 10 Most Extreme Theme Park Rides in the USA by USA TODAY
- Glenwood Caverns was named one of the 10 Best Caves in the USA Today 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards
- Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park ranked in the top 4 for Best Family Fun in Sunset magazine Travel Awards
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park
51000 Two Rivers Plaza Road, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601